Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Lesson on Getting No Sleep

May 13, 2009 (Wednesday) – Part II
A Lesson on Getting No Sleep


If you ever wondered how you can stay up and alert all night…..ask Lisette and I.

So it was around 10:00p (note that around 6p it is pitch dark outside, so at 10p we were already half asleep in bed). We heard a loud thumb against one of the homes around us, then we heard Spe (Nomusa’s oldest boy) yell a terrifying “Ahhhhhhh!!!!! Mommmaaa!!!!” Lisette and I jumped out of bed, being socialized within a culture of fear of Africa (thanks to Universal Studios, Third Grade History, and Blood Diamond) we immediately jumped out the bed with alarming heart rates.
As I peaked out the window I saw two young men walking towards our zozo (the name of the type of house in which we sleep in), and I just knew they were coming for us (thanks again US for helping us have an exaggerated since of self-importance).
So, we stayed up all night and watched the window and noted every single pop, crack, and thumb in a mile radius. I remember telling Lisette around 1am in the morning, “This will be funny tomorrow.” She said, “Yea, but it’s not funny yet.” I thought, “Yea, she’s right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment