Saturday, May 16, 2009

In Zonki I am White, Indian, and Black….at the same time

May 13, 2009 (Wednesday) – Part I
In Zonki I am White, Indian, and Black….at the same time



Never in my life was I ever considered “White”, but on my way to visit Umtholo, one of the local primary schools, I was WHITE. LOL. When Lisette (considered Indian in US) and I (considered Black in US) were called “white twins” I laughed. Lisette said, “It’s so funny how race is different depending on what country you are in. It shows how it is so systematically constructed in South Africa and in the US.”

Just to show how relative it is, two minutes later I was Indian when some men asked how much I could be bought for. LOL….ok, not that funny.

I thought maybe my face had changes since I hadn’t looked in a mirror since I was at the Amsterdam Airport. I had to take a picture of myself just to make sure.

In Zonki I am White, Indian, and Black….at the same time; it just depends on how you look at me. (MRULE in action. Gotta love it!)

*The picture I took of myself to make sure my face hadn’t changed


No comments:

Post a Comment